Home > Health > TRANSPLANT!


Not sure where to start, as everything has been such a blur; I’m wide awake in my hospital bed, I feel FANTASTIC, and I’m ready to eat. I’m not sure if it’s from having improved kidney function, the steroids, or both. I got my new kidney last night, call number 7 was the charm!

The surgeon was just in, and is very pleased.  I’m putting out 40-60cc per hour of urine. He explained that since the donor was young, it may take a few days for the kidney to settle in, and that there is probably some spasms of the blood vessels which will resolve.

I went to the pre-op area at 5:30 last night and met with the anesthesiologist. Then, I saw the box with the kidney show up.  It was sort of surreal; a guy in a delivery uniform had an orange box marked “Human Organ” over his shoulder, like he was delivering auto parts or a pizza. The thought that went through my head was “he better not drop that”.

They put an IV line in my neck without sedation. It was uncomfortable, but not terrible.  The next thing I remember is waking up after the surgery.  In addition to the central line in my neck, they put in an arterial line. I assume that didn’t go well, because there are several bruised areas on my arm, and they ended up putting it in my armpit. They removed it in the recovery room, and it wasn’t too comfortable, as they didn’t shave my armpit before putting it in, and the hair stuck to the dressing.

Im got back to my room from the OR at around 1:30 this morning and was still a little sedated. Jackie went home right after and I took cat naps. The nurse was in frequently, so I didn’t get more than 45 minutes of sleep at one time.

I’ll be on Plavix for a couple of months because of something with the anatomy of this specific kidney. I started CellCept during the night, which is an immunosuppressant. And when my creatinine lowers, I’ll start ProGraf. The creatinine at midnight was 5 (2 weeks ago mine was 8), and it increased to 5.6 at 8am, but again, the surgeon said it was due to the hyperreactivity of the adolescent kidney, and is not at all worried about it, since I’m putting out adequate urine.

My pain is well controlled. I’m on a PCA (patient controlled anesthesia) pump with Dilaudid. It’s just enough to take the edge off, but I’m not at all “snowed”.

I’m sure there will be other things that happened that I don’t remember, so I’ll add them to future posts.

Categories: Health Tags:
  1. May 4, 2008 at 5:09 pm

    Congrats!!!!! I’m so happy for you 🙂

    I didn’t see a box marked ‘human organ’ but I did get a glance at my brother (already under anesthesia and nearing the end of his donor surgery) as I was wheeled into my own surgery. The doctor pointed to the little bowl (tray? I can’t remember) and said “there’s the kidney”… of course I couldn’t see it (it was covered) but I felt the same surreal-ness.

    Keep us updated on your creatinine level. My living donor organ meant I went from 12 to .7 in less than 48 hours!!

  2. pstarr999
    May 4, 2008 at 6:33 pm

    Awesome!! I hope everything continues to go well!

  3. May 5, 2008 at 12:59 am

    thank you for being so positive. congrats on your transplant 😀

  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: